In the ‘gluten present’ column there are a number of options – ‘yes’ indicates the product contains gluten, ‘C’ indicates it could be contaminated during the manufacturing but there is no gluten in the ingredients, and ‘N/i’ means gluten is not part of the product, but it cannot be guaranteed 100 per cent gluten free.
So for Costa’s seasonal range, here’s the low down:
- Caffe caramella – N/i
- Toffee nut caffe caramella – N/i
- Black forest hot chocolate – C
- Salted caramel and cream latte – N/i
- White hot chocolate with cream – N/i
- Gingerbread and cream latte- contains gluten (It’s worth noting here that this does come with a mini gingerbread man on top, the standard gingerbread latte is marked N/i)
- Honeycomb and cream hot chocolate – C
- Hot spiced apple – N/i
- Sticky toffee latte (new for 2014) – N/i
- Praline cappucino (new for 2014) – N/i
- Chocolate and orange hot chocolate (new for 2014) – C
- Chocolate brownie hot chocolate (new for 2014) – C
I always go to Costa and have never had a problem with any of their drinks. I have also tried the honeycomb hot chocolate and not had any ill effects – but it is down to each individual as to whether you’d be willing to take the risk of possible cross contamination. For the record, this was also delicious! I’ve also tried the salted caramel latte which was nice, and next on my list is the hot spiced apple which sounds divine.
It’s also handy to know that the marshmallows contain gluten – something I did not know before, but as I don’t like them anyway I am not too fussed! And all of the coffee syrups are marked as N/i, so that is good.
I have blogged before about the gluten free chocolate brownies (amazing!) offered by Costa and the gluten free mini bakewells, but they also have a gluten free Christmas cake. I’m not a fan of Christmas cake but this does look good and I’ve heard good things about it – so I will have to keep you posted!
Also new for 2014, is Costa’s chicken and bacon gluten free wrap. I haven’t tried this yet but it sounds fantastic!
I hope this helps a little when enjoying a festive treat – and saves you trawling through a 37 page document! However, if you want to have a read of it yourself, you can find it here, click ‘download all’ in the bottom right hand corner.