I love a soup in the winter and this carrot and ginger soup is vibrant and fiery – just the thing to warm you up as it starts to get colder! The darker nights and shorter days have me craving home comforts like soup, and this one is filled with goodness. Ginger, chilli and garlic give this a fiery taste and make it perfect for helping to boost your immune system and veggie intake too.
Want to get straight to it? Skip to the recipe.
I originally never intended to make this for the blog. I was just experimenting with a glut of leftover carrots and all of the spices I thought might help my immune system, which is currently fighting a gazillion cold viruses. Happy winter everybody! However, it was so good I ended up scoffing the lot and making it again, and I knew I had to share the recipe with you all.
The base of this carrot and ginger soup is a whole load of carrots, a couple of potatoes and vegetable stock – making it super cheap, gluten free, dairy free and vegan. Basically a soup that everyone can enjoy, and that can feed the masses for minimal cost and effort. What’s not to love?
The perfect soup for batch cooking
The best thing for me about soups is the fact you make so much for such a little amount of effort. It’s fantastic if you’re batch cooking or meal prepping. Simply throw all the ingredients together and leave them to bubble away for half an hour. Blend and then portion up – you can either freeze tubs of this or keep it in the fridge and ladle out what you need.
For the flavours of this soup I opted for a generous helping of ginger, a fiery red chilli, some cloves or garlic and some turmeric. I wanted food which felt like it would nourish my soul, and this soup certainly feels like it’s doing that. Enjoy a cosy bowl while curled up on the sofa with a blanket, watching the wind lashing the trees outside. It’s also a great option to put in a flask and take out on a winter walk. Or, in my case, to drink in the freezing cold gym office while I work!
Tips for making my carrot and ginger soup recipe
If you want to make my gluten free carrot and ginger soup recipe, here are a few tips and tricks you can use, whether you want a twist on the recipe or an easy time-saver for batch cooking.
- This recipe is perfect for batch cooking – it makes approximately four portions but double this up and you can store it in portions in the freezer. Heat it straight from frozen and it’s a super quick lunch on-the-go.
- This soup is pretty fiery for my taste. For a hotter soup, double the amount of chillis. For a milder soup, only use half a red chilli and make sure you remove all of the seeds. You could remove the chilli completely if you really don’t like spice.
- I used a vegetable stock in this recipe to keep it vegan and vegetarian, but you could also use a chicken stock. Make your own chicken stock by boiling the bones of a roast chicken down for 6-8 hours in the slow cooker then straining. This will add extra goodness to your soup.
- If you want a thicker soup, you could try adding a couple more potatoes – for a creamier carrot and ginger soup which is still vegan, add half a tin of coconut milk before blending.
- For a twist of carrot and coriander soup, try adding a handful of fresh coriander to the soup when you pop it in the blender. It adds a lovely, fresh dimension to this carrot and ginger soup.
- For a more substantial meal, try adding some cooked rice or quinoa to the soup once blended. This will give you more of a ‘meal soup’ and will add some extra carbohydrates and calories.
Carrot, ginger and chilli soup
A fiery soup recipe which is gluten free, dairy free and vegan. Vibrant carrot with fiery chilli, garlic, ginger and turmeric to blow the cobwebs away!
- 575 g carrot (peeled and chopped roughly)
- 2 medium potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 2 celery sticks (chopped finely)
- 1 red chilli pepper (deseeded and finely chopped)
- 1 thumb-sized ginger piece (peeled and grated)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled and crushed)
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 750 ml gluten free vegetable stock (I used 1 Knorr stock pot + 750ml boiling water)
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
Add the olive oil to a large pan then place over a low/med heat. Add the celery, garlic, chilli, turmeric and ginger and fry for 2-3 minutes until it starts to soften.
Add the carrots and potatoes, stir until fully coated and fry for another minute. Pour in the stock, bring to the boil and cover with a lid. Turn down to a simmer and simmer for around 20-30 minutes until the carrots and potatoes are soft.
Pour the soup mixture (carefully!) into a blender and process until smooth - you might want to do this in batches to avoid over-filling the blender and having a soup explosion! Serve hot and garnish with fresh coriander and chilli flakes if desired.
Will keep for 3-5 days in the fridge or can be frozen for up to six months.
Need some more gluten free recipe inspiration?
Want to have a go at making some more easy gluten free recipes? Give some of these other gluten free recipes a try! There are plenty to choose from – here are a couple to get you going:
- Gluten free Ikea-style meatballs
- Vegan chickpea and sweetcorn fritters
- Curried potato soup with garlic croutons
If you do make this recipe please let me know! I’d love to see your photos using #theglutenfreeblogger, share them in my Facebook group or tag me on Instagram. And if you have any recipe suggestions, please let me know in the comments what you’d like to see next! Oh – and don’t forget to sign up for my e-newsletter where you’ll know about all my latest posts and competitions first!