Stir fry is a wonderful thing – versatile, tasty, and healthy too!
But as I am trying to cut down on complex carbs with my meals, I needed to find a replacement for edd fried rice. And it wasn’t going to be easy.
Cue personal-trainer-boyfriend Steve jumping to the rescue, with the suggestion of cauliflower rice.
Yes, if you’re anything like me, you’re probably turning your nose up right now and going “Absolutely no way, there is no way I am trying that!”
Well, I have to urge you to give it a go, because, again, if you’re anything like me, you’re going to be pleasantly suprised.
It’s a simple idea.
Break the cauliflower heads from the stalks, and then blend them until they form a ‘rice’ consistency.
There are several options here – you could try steaming it, but my favourite is frying it lightly for a couple of minutes with olive oil and crushed garlic.
Or, for something a bit more snazzy, try the recipe for egg-friend cauliflower rice below.
I know, some of you may not be convinced, but here are the plus sides…
- The consistency and look is similar to rice, so you won’t feel you’re missing out
- Like rice, you can flavour this to your tastes – try mixing with onion and pilau spices for a pilau ‘rice’
- It’s one of your five a day
- You won’t be left feeling stuffy and bloated
So give it a go, just this once, and let me know how you feel after!
Egg Fried Cauliflower ‘Rice’ (Serves 2)
One medium cauliflower
2 tbsp gluten free soy sauce
4 spring onions
2 cloves garlic
- Blend the cauliflower heads as described earlier to form a ‘rice’ consistency
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs and soy sauce
- Chop the spring onions and fry in the olive oil in a hot wok for 2 minutes
- Add the soy and egg mix, and stir until it begins to scramble.
- Add the cauliflower and stir until everything is mixed thoroughly and serve.
Try this with pork and veg stir-fryed with sweet chilli sauce and soy sauce, and beef with honey and sesame seed sauce and water chestnuts. (Below)