Summer is upon us and it’s the season for healthy gluten free BBQ recipes – and these king prawn skewers with coconut oil, coriander and mango are the perfect dish for balmy evenings. They are super simple to make and high in protein, as well as good fats from the coconut oil. And should the weather take a turn for the worse, you can also cook them indoors and the tropical flavours will make you feel like you’re in warmer climes!
I created this gluten free BBQ recipe as part of the Vita Coco and Foodies 100 #ReachForTheBeach competition – and had originally planned to cook them up at the beach on a little disposable BBQ. However, temptation got the better of me and I ended up just making them at home and eating them in the garden!
I love creating gluten free BBQ recipes which are healthy too, and these king prawn skewers are fresh and zingy, and the perfect taste of summer. They are best enjoyed hot off the BBQ with a squeeze of lime and some freshly-chopped salad.
The great thing about these skewers is that if you make them in advance, the flavour really develops. Once you’ve glazed them in the warm coconut oil, you can refrigerate them until they are ready for the barbecue. The coconut oil glaze, when it melts, helps to prevent the prawns from sticking to the grill and give the skewers a great, tropical flavour.
Once I had coated the prawns, I kept the leftover glaze and heated this up to use as an additional sauce once I had cooked the prawn skewers. Again, this will solidify when you refrigerate it, but will turn into a delicious, flavoursome sauce once heated.
So fire up the barbecue, pour yourself a fresh, summer cocktail (I reckon a Mojito would just be perfect with these king prawn skewers!) and enjoy this summer gluten free BBQ recipe.
- 165 g raw king prawns
- 1 tbsp Vita Coco Coconut Oil
- 60 g fresh, ripe mango
- 1 tsp coriander paste, or equivalent of fresh, chopped coriander
- 1 tsp chopped red chilli
- Half a lime
- Chop the mango into tiny pieces, so it is almost a mushy paste, with 2-3mm chunks.
- In a small, non-stick pan, warm the coconut oil until it has melted. Add the mango, chilli and coriander and mix well. Remove from the heat.
- Coat the prawns in the mix and then add three per skewer. Place on a dish/chopping board, cover with clingfilm, and refrigerate for half an hour (you can leave these overnight or for a few hours if you have time, for the flavours to develop). Set aside any leftover marinade.
- When you're ready to cook, fire up the BBQ and cook the prawns for a couple of minutes on each side, until they are pink and cooked through.
- Warm the leftover marinade and serve hot with the sauce drizzled over the top of the skewers. For an optional extra zing, squeeze over the juice of half a lime once cooked.
This recipe really is super simple and I can’t wait to see all of the other amazing recipes people come up with in this #ReachForTheBeach competition. I’m always looking for inspiration for healthy gluten free BBQ recipe ideas.