Is there anything more amazing than gluten free fried chicken? Crunchy, crispy, gluten free bread crumbs coating tender chicken breast, with a hint of herbs and garlic. This gluten free fried chicken is the ultimate treat and so easy to make too. I’ve made it about three times this week and I am obsessed!
Whenever I go to Bull and Bear in Barnstaple I always go for gluten free fried chicken because it’s my absolutely favourite thing on the menu. I wanted to make my own version, but I opted to coat my chicken in gluten free breadcrumbs, and shallow fry it in coconut oil. This way I could get the delicious, crunchy coating, but use healthier fats and a few less calories. Not that I am that bothered by the calorie count – this is a treat and made to be enjoyed!
Gluten free breadcrumb coating
For the gluten free breadcrumbs I used the Warburtons Gluten Free seeded bread. I was kindly sent some of this to try by Warburtons as they have newly rebranded from Newburn Bakehouse. The bread worked really well and I liked the extra crunchiness the seeds added, though you could make this with any gluten free bread.
I originally only made this gluten free fried chicken recipe as an experiment, but after posting a photo of the first batch sizzling away on my Instagram and receiving a welcome response, I made it a couple more times to perfect it so I could share it with you all! I also highly recommend checking out Gluten Free Suitcase’s baked garlic chicken tenders recipe as she has posted it this week and they look fantastic!
Gluten free fried chicken recipe
Whether you’re making these for a gluten free party food platter, an easy gluten free dinner or just to snack on cold, the recipe is super simple and doesn’t take long at all. I like to serve mine up with sweet potato fries and a cheeky garlic dip!
- 600g chicken breast strips
- 4 slices gluten free bread
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Small handful fresh flat leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- Add the bread, chilli, garlic, salt and pepper and parsley to a food processor and blitz into crumbs. Pour out onto a plate. On a second plate, crack the egg and whisk up with a fork.
- Lay the chicken strips out on clingfilm, place another layer of clingfilm over the top and use a rolling pin to tenderise the meat. You don't want them too thin but you want them to flatten a little.
- Take one strip of chicken at a time, dip in the egg and coat on both sides. Then dip in the bread crumbs and coat both sides, ensuring the chicken is fully coated. Set aside on a board and repeat with all of the chicken strips.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large frying pan until hot. Add the chicken strips - fry for 3 minutes and then turn over. Fry for another 3 minutes until golden brown on each side and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken onto a plate covered in kitchen roll. This will remove an excess oil. Serve hot with a dip and sides of your choice!
- Can be kept in the fridge for a day or so after - and taste equally as good cold!
Like this post? Make sure you pin it for later!