Pea and ham soup is one of my favourite soups ever – and my gluten free pea and ham soup recipe is super easy, uses minimal ingredients, and takes less than 10 minutes to make! That’s right, this thick, creamy, and delightful green soup can be warming your belly in no time at all.
I was very kindly sent a VonShef 1500W Professional Food Blender* to test out from VonShef (scroll down for your chance to win one yourself!) and it seemed like the perfect opportunity to make this gluten free pea and ham soup. I was a bit in awe of how mean and powerful this blender looked, but I think I might actually be a bit in love with it! It blended my soup up in ‘souper’ quick time (sorry!!) which meant I could eat it even faster.
For the blender geeks among us, here’s a quick rundown of the spec before we get to the best bit, the soup itself! It has a powerful 1500W high-speed motor, nine variable settings and it can whole 2 litres – that’s a whole lot of soup! This is ideal for me because I love cooking soups in big batches so I can freeze some for later, but often end up blending them in portions!
Gluten free pea and ham soup
But back to the soup! This vibrant green soup is literally just comfort in a bowl (or mug?). You only need five ingredients and it’s so quick to make. Im a huge fan of soup, particularly when you’re feeling rough (check out my cold-zapping chicken soup recipe too!) and if it’s packed with veg, then that’s even better.
I love the way the vibrant peas clash with the pink ham, and it’s so full of goodness too. For the vegetable stock, there are loads of gluten free options. I used to Oxo gluten free vegetable stock pots in this version, but I have also used vegetable Bouillon too. Check out my guide to gluten free stock cubes and gravies if you’re feeling a bit stuck.
I prefer to make this by blending half of the ham with the soup and then stirring the other half in, so you still get some chunks of meat. However, if you’d prefer a smoother soup with all the flavour, you could blend all of the ham in. It’s so easy and versatile, you can customise this soup however you like! Try adding in some fresh thyme too if you fancy a herby punch!
- 500ml gluten free veg stock (Bouillon or Oxo veg stock pots are my favourites)
- 120g shredded ham hock
- 300g frozen garden peas
- 2 small shallots
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp virgin olive oil
- Finely chop the shallots and garlic, and then add to a large non-stick pan with the olive oil. Fry gently for 1-2 minutes to soften.
- Add half of the ham hock and the peas, stir until mixed and then cover with the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for five minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add to the blender and blend until smooth. Be careful not to overfill your blender - you don't want to get burnt!
- Pour back into a pan, add the rest of the ham hock and stir through before serving.
- This soup is dairy free but for an extra added treat, if you can have dairy, try adding a swirl of crème fraîche before serving.
WIN a VonShef Professional Blender!
Now you’ve got the gluten free pea and ham soup recipe, how you like to win a VonShef Professional Blender worth £119? It’s simple – just use the form below to enter! You have until midnight on Sunday, December 3, 2017 and there is more than one way to enter. Just follow the instructions on the form below, and good luck!
Like this post? Make sure you pin it for later!