I’ve never really understood aubergines before, and how to best cook them. Until I discovered these gluten free spicy stuffed aubergines, and they changed my world! If you too have never been sure how to cook up this veg, read on…
I was very kindly invited to the Waitrose Cookery School in London ahead of a recipe creation project I worked on with them. While I was there I met some great people and learnt some new skills. We made these delicious baked aubergines with smoked tofu and wild rice, and I couldn’t wait to recreate them at home.
Discovering new flavours
I wanted to adapt the recipe slightly and put my own twist on it. I added feta to mine (though if you want them to be vegan or dairy free, you could easily remove this) and made a Greek yoghurt dip too. I also removed the rice to make these a lower-carb recipe and added in grated carrot instead. I thought this worked really well with the spice combination.
I also learnt some about some amazing new ingredients at the cookery school which I am a little bit obsessed with! Baharat is a Middle Eastern spice mix which has this delicious, spicy, smoky flavour. And Sumac has a really lovely, zesty taste.
This recipe is vegetarian but so filling. The smoked tofu makes sure you get a good protein hit – I am actually now in LOVE with this Taifun smoked tofu. I’ve never been a huge fan of tofu as I find it bland but this tastes insanely good and I love the crunch of the seeds and almonds in it too. Definitely worth a try!
- 2 large aubergines
- 1 tsp smoked garlic paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 large carrot
- 1 tsp frozen chopped chilli
- 1 tbsp baharat
- 1 tsp sumac
- 125g smoked tofu
- 50g sun dried tomatoes
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 50g feta
- Pomegranate seeds
- 2 tbsp full fat Greek yoghurt
- Handful fresh mint leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180’C. Cut the aubergines in half, score and smother with the smoked garlic paste. Drizzle with a little olive oil and place in the oven, bake for 40 minutes.
- Peel and finely chop the red onion and the garlic clove. Grate the carrot. Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large pan on a low heat. Add the onion and fry for 2-3 minute until it starts to soften.
- Add the garlic and chopped chilli and fry for a further minute. Then add the carrot, sumac and baharat, stir well and fry for a further five minutes, still on a med-low heat.
- Chop the tofu and the sun-dried tomatoes into small chunks and add to the pan. Stir well and fry for a further minute or two. Add the lemon juice and stir.
- Remove the aubergines from the oven, scoop out the flesh and chop roughly. Add to the pan, mix well, heat through and then spoon the mixture back into the aubergines.
- Make the dip by finely chopping the mint leaves and mixing into the yoghurt. Sprinkle the feta and pomegranate seeds over the auberines and serve with the dip alongside.
- These are also delicious with some pistachio nuts sprinkled on top and an extra side of houmous!
Like this recipe? Make sure you pin this recipe card below for later!