Being creative in the kitchen is a messy, exciting and sometimes disappointing job.
Sometimes you create something so monstrous it’s a definite write off, other times you can concoct something innovative and new, and sometimes, you just discover a simple combination of ingredients that never crossed your mind before.
I haven’t felt much creativity recently – my days have been spent zapped of energy thanks to my lack-of thyroid, and swamped in uni work!
However, tonight I mashed together a few ingredients I found in left in the dregs of my student food-hoard, and came up with something simple, yet delicious!
The spinach and tomatoes add a healthy side (got to be 2 of your 5-a-day?), the chicken is tender and a great source of protein, the pepperoni adds flavour, and the mozzerella just gives it that something else.
So here’s something easy to throw together – I hope you enjoy! Serve with rice, quinoa, or potatoes for a delicious meal.
Tomato and Spinach Chicken Bake (Serves 2)
2 Chicken breasts
Frozen spinach (defrosted in the microwave – the stuff I buy somes in little balls and I used approx 5-6 of these, not sure of the weight?)
Tin chopped tomatoes
Half an onion
1/2 ball mozzerella
Preheat the oven to 190’/Gas 5.
- Chop the onion finely and fry in a little olive oil for a minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and the tomato puree – mix well and simmer for a few minutes.
- Heat a little olive oil in a separate pan, and add the chicken breasts.
- Cook for a couple of minutes on each side, and then remove from the heat.
- Place the chicken breasts in an over proof casserole dish and cut some slits into them so they absorb the flavours.
- Rub a little garlic granules into the chicken breasts.
- Cover the chicken breasts with the spinach.
- Slice the mushrooms and roughly chop the mozzerella. Place these on top of the chicken and spinach.
- Pour the tomato mix over the top, then decorate with pepperoni.
- Place in the middle of the oven and bake for approx 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy!