This post is sponsored by FREEE by Doves Farm.
Gluten free cereal bars are definitely one of my snacks of choice, and making them at home is quick and easy. These cereal bars, made with FREEE by Doves Farm Gluten Free Organic Corn Flakes, have only five ingredients and require no baking – making them even easier to throw together than most!
Want to get straight to it? Skip to the recipe.
When I was first diagnosed with coeliac disease it was really hard to find any gluten free cereal I could eat. Now, however, there is so much choice! And the FREEE by Doves Farm offers a great selection, from chocolate stars to classics like corn flakes. I like to vary my breakfasts up and sometimes I just love a bowl of cereal – but you’re most likely to find me scoffing a bowl in the evening! Call me weird, but a bowl of gluten free cereal has been my favourite bedtime snack ever since I was a child.
FREEE by Doves Farm offers four cereals in its gluten free range: Organic Cereal Flakes, Organic Corn Flakes, Organic Fibre Flakes and Organic Chocolate Stars. For this recipe I used the Organic Corn Flakes, but you could easily substitute this for your flake of choice! I’ve also tried them with the Organic Cereal Flakes and they were just as tasty! I just love the golden colour you get from the corn flakes, it’s the perfect ray of sunshine in the morning.
My ‘no bake’ gluten free cereal bars recipe
So what else makes these gluten free cereal bars so special? Well, for starters, they only use five ingredients, so they’re super simple and cheap to make. They don’t require any baking either, so you can just whip them up the night before, chill in the fridge and then slice them up and go!
The FREEE by Doves Farm cereals are also organic and suitable for many other free from diets, including those looking for high fibre, low fat or low sugar. In this recipe you could substitute the butter for coconut oil, and then it’s completely dairy free too. The recipe is super adaptable and once you’ve tried the original version, you could add all sorts to your cereal bars! Maybe try some dried fruit or nuts to vary the flavours?
So what are you waiting for? My gluten free cereal bars recipe is yours for the taking! Have a go and let me know if you do try any other flavour variations – I’d love to hear all about it!
- 230 g FREEE by Doves Farm Gluten Free Organic Corn Flakes
- 200 g peanut butter, (or nut butter of choice)
- 125 ml honey
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 150 g dark chocolate chips
- Line a 8-inch square baking tin with baking paper and set to one side.
- Add the butter, peanut butter and honey to a saucepan and place over a low heat. Melt slowly and stir regularly until it forms a smooth, peanut-y sauce.
- While the above is melting together, add the FREEE by Doves Farm Gluten Free Organic Corn Flakes to a food processor and blitz - you don't want it to be ground down to a powder, aim for a breadcrumb-type consistency with a few chunkier flakes. Empty into a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the peanut mixture over the blended flakes and, using a wooden spoon or spatula, mix together until the flakes are fully coated. Pour the mixture into the lined baking tin and press down firmly so the entire bottom is covered and compacted down. Place the tray in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Melt the dark chocolate (either in a bowl over hot water or in 30-second intervals in the microwave) and then pour over the chilled cereal base. Spread evenly and place back in the fridge for 30-60 minutes until set, before cutting into 8 bars (or 16 smaller squares).
Find the cereal….
Want to get your hands on this awesome cereal to make your own gluten free cereal bars? Here’s where you can stock up:
- Organic Cereal Flakes 375g, RRP £3.49, Sainsbury’s, www.freee-foods.co.uk
- Organic Corn Flakes 325g, RRP £2.75, www.freee-foods.co.uk
- Organic Fibre Flakes 375g, RRP £3.33, ASDA, Morrisons, Sainsbury’s, www.freee-foods.co.uk
- Organic Chocolate Stars 300g, RRP £2.75, Sainsbury’s, www.freee-foods.co.uk